**Reschedule date: Saturday 4th September 2021**
Larger than life actor, writer and presenter Brian Blessed is known for his hearty, king-sized portrayals on film and television.
A giant of a man accompanied by an eloquent wit and booming, operatic voice, he is also an avid explorer and climber and ‘An Evening with Brian Blessed’ will combine anecdotes from his illustrious acting career with tales of his adventuring.
With a career spanning more than 50 years, there is no shortage of material. On screen, he has appeared in everything from Doctor Who to Kenneth Branagh's Shakespeare films. On stage his credits range from Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. And his trademark booming voice has also featured on everything from Peppa Pig character Grampy Rabbit to a voice download on TomTom's sat nav system.
He is also an avid climber and will also be talking about his Everest climb without oxygen; his expedition to the jungles of Venezuela during which he survived a plane crash; his trek to the North Pole (he is the oldest man to go to the Pole on foot) and his many hours of space training in Russia!
The show is an experience that nobody should miss! His eloquence and humour will have the audience captured from the moment he walks on stage until the moment he leaves.
Enjoy a fabulous 3-course dinner, live entertainment, a memorabilia auction and a chance to ask your own burning question in an audience Q & A. Everyone will also receive their own personal souvenir photograph with Brian Blessed to remember this very special night.
Don't miss this rare opportunity to experience an amazing evening in the uniquely entertaining company of one of the country's best-loved performers and true national treasure.
Tickets are strictly limited for this event, which is exclusively presented at The Bowdon Rooms for one night only.
Dress code: BLACK TIE
The son of a South Yorkshire coal miner, Brian Blessed was born in 1936 in Mexborough and grew up in the mining village of Goldthorpe. He trained at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School before beginning a distinguished and varied career, which has encompassed all media. Brian is now one of this country’s best known and most highly respected actors.
Brian created the role of ‘Old Deuteronomy’ in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s highly successful musical, CATS, for which he received a SWET nomination. He also starred as ‘John Freeman’ in the West End musical METROPOLIS. Whilst a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company he played ‘Claudius’ in HAMLET, ‘Exeter’ in HENRY V and ‘Hastings’ in RICHARD III. At the Royal National Theatre he created ‘Maxim Gorky’ in Robert Bolt’s STATE OF REVOLUTION and played the role of ‘Sir Tunbelly Clumsey’ in THE RELAPSE, directed by Trevor Nunn. He also played ‘Henry II’ in THE LION IN WINTER at Basingstoke and he created the role of ‘Baron Bomburst’ in the original cast of the hugely successful musical, CHITTY, BANG, BANG at the London Palladium.
Countless television roles include; ‘Augustus Caesar’ in I CLAUDIUS for which he received the New York Critics Award; ‘PC Fancy Smith’ in Z CARS; ‘Porthos’ in THE THREE MUSKETEERS; ‘Pepone’ in THE LITTLE WORLD OF DON CAMILLO; ‘Spiro’ in MY FAMILY AND OTHER ANIMALS; the title role in THE JOY OF BACH, ‘Richard IV’ in BLACK ADDER; and the larger than life ‘Squire Western’ in the BBC’s classic drama series TOM JONES. More recently the ‘Laughing Cavalier’ in ADAM’S FAMILY TREE (YTV), ‘Mr Scottley’ in THE GREATEST STORE IN THE WORLD, ‘Sir Morris’ in the award winning animated series THE BIG KNIGHTS (BBC) and ’Max’ in WINTER SOLSTICE ( BBC).
On Film, Brian played ‘Talthybius’ in TROJAN WOMEN in which he was thrilled to co-star with Katherine Hepburn, Irene Papas and Vanessa Redgrave. He played ‘Vultan’ in the ever popular FLASH GORDON; ‘Pedro’ in MAN OF LA MANCHA; ‘Long John Silver’ in RETURN TO TREASURE ISLAND; ‘General Zukov’ in WAR AND REMEMBRANCE and ‘Lord Locksley’ in ROBIN HOOD PRINCE OF THIEVES with Kevin Costner. In Kenneth Branagh’s HENRY V he played ‘Exeter’, in MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING he played ‘Antonio’ and in hamlet he played ‘Hamlet’s Father and the Ghost’. He played ‘Boss Nass’ in George Lucas’ STAR WARS, THE PHANTOM MENACE, ‘Pendragon’ in MERLIN - THE LEGEND BEGINS, ‘Clayton’ in Walt Disney’s
Important information for guests regarding Coronavirus.
When we re-open, our priority will be to ensure that your visit is safe and enjoyable.
Here are some of the COVID-19 prevention measures we will have in place across the building.
• There will be staggered arrival times to the show in an aid to reduce queues, and temperature checks and security controls will be in place.
• We request that audiences arrive at least 45 minutes before the start time.
• All tickets must be bought in advance and e-tickets will be scanned at the entrance so please print these at home or show them on your mobile device.
• We will be following a strict non-admission policy for late comers so please allow plenty of time for your journey
• Face masks are mandatory at all times throughout the venue, and inside the ballroom during the performance. Entry will be denied if face masks are not worn.
• Children under the age of 11 will not be required to wear face masks.
• The venue will be cleaned throughout the day and between every theatre show. Front of House areas will additionally be cleaned during shows, while audience members are in the ballroom.
• Sanitiser stations will be located at the entrance to the venue and throughout foyer and bar area and on entry to the ballroom.
• We will be asking audiences to maintain social distancing from all other households or support bubbles whilst at the venue.
• We will send you an email 48hrs before your visit to ensure you have all the information you need in advance